View Single Post
Old 11 January 2017, 11:38 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Why? I'm originally from Europe, so meters before feet is absolutely meaningless to me. I'm certainly OK with it, but I don't find it more special than feet-first dials.

I still scratch my head every time I read something like this. I guess I'm missing something, although I've yet to hear a good explanation. Is it just because they're older? (I'm talking about the matte dials, of course. Gilts are another story.)
Personal preference I suppose". MF dials just appeal to me, simple as that. To each his own

This excerpt from 5513mattedial.com and Beaumont Millers explanation sums it up for me:

The change from the gilt gloss dialed 5513 to the meters first matte dialed 5513 started around the 1.6 mil serial range or 1966. The majority of the cases stamped with a 1.7 serial number were produced in 1968, and by then the meters first matte dial was in full production. However the period from late 1969 to early 1970, consistent with the 2.2 mil serial range, represents an overlap in which both meters first and feet first matte 5513 dials can be found. I have read that perhaps the reason for the transition from meters first to feet first was an attempt to increase sales in the US market, a country that had not at the time and still has not widely adopted the metric system.

That and the fact they are more rare make it more special to me.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote