View Single Post
Old 13 July 2019, 01:40 AM   #1
Adamj79
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I need some guidance 1601

Hi all,

I was given my grandfathers Datejust and need some help on what to do. I would like to have it serviced and refinished. I do have a few questions about it.
The bracelet looks the be aftermarket but I’m not sure. There are no stamped 55 on the end links. It has been shortened as the total number of links is few short of the 22?
The case has 1601 with registered design below it. On the other side is there serial number which is 633029. My little research shows it being a year 1949?
The dial looks to me to be two piece. There is no word Swiss on it anywhere..seems odd as I see it on most older ones. It has been looked at at some point as the dial looks to be off a touch..line up wise.

I think it is a slow date set 2 times around for a day. It runs about 2 days if wound and left alone. It also starts the second hand as soon it gets moving or I put it on. Is this normal? I thought I would have to wind it first?
I will try to post some pictures as soon as they let me:-).

My end goal is to get a new period correct bracelet as this one may be in original and is stretched pretty bad and too small for me (7.5”) wrist.
Have it polished and maybe a new dial put in or the current one redone.
Any thoughts or guidance would be great!

Adam
Adamj79 is offline   Reply With Quote