View Single Post
Old 11 September 2019, 04:37 AM   #54
PSTW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
I really want a Seamaster but every time I’m ready to buy and pull the trigger,I just don’t because I really do not at all like the wave dial design. Am I the only one who prefers the older pre-2017 Seamaster model? Considering looking for a used 2017 or earlier Seamaster now.
I think the wave dial is a great feature. I have one of the older 2541.80 Seamasters, one of the first ‘Bond’ watches and for me, one of its distinguishing features, of the time, is the blue waved dial.

The competitors of the time were similar to now and most had plain, monochrome dials which, though there was nothing wrong with them, were hardly distinctive. I like that the waves were a little, but not too, busy.

The latest iteration, like most of the recent Omega models, in fairness, to my eye has a much better build quality and seems a much more premium product. The finishing is a stronger feature. It’s a sharper, more defined product and I think the return of the wave-dial is a big contributor to that.

The head of the new SMP is amongst the best divers available in my opinion. Where it loses it for me is the bracelet. I can’t bear to wear rubber or NATO straps unless I have to, so the bracelet, for me, has to be a winner. It just isn’t.

The build quality is wonderful, however where on the older model the end links protruded out to connect to the following links, which gave the bracelet a visual direction of travel away from the case, the new bracelet has two pieces going into the end links, which reverses the visual direction. It doesn’t work for me, for reasons that are difficult to articulate, it turns me right off the watch. If they fixed it, I’d buy one. As is, it’s a watch I can’t love, though I do want to.
PSTW is offline   Reply With Quote