View Single Post
Old 9 August 2020, 07:13 PM   #24
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
These comments are spot on. People don't buy luxury goods for the raw material cost that goes into them, and if they later decide to sell their Rolex they are not going to take it to their local cash4gold scrap metal dealer. Just like they are not paying 50x the price of a quartz watch or a digital GPS watch in the hope that a Daytona will keep much better time.

The current pre owned market says that people are willing to pay a bit more than list price for the OF Daytona and a bit less than list price for full gold. So based on how desirable the public find these watches, you could say the OF at retail price is too cheap, not too expensive. The market is driven by supply and demand, and whatever the relative 'deliberate scarcity' tactics from Rolex, it's clear that the public really like the OF product.

My WG 519LN Daytona is a great casual-luxury watch. If I had an extra $10000 spare on top of the price of the OF, I could buy five 1oz Britannias, Krugerrands, Eagles or Pandas. Maybe in a couple of decades if the OF is looking tatty I could swap one of the gold coins for a couple of new OF bracelets.

+1 [emoji1360]