View Single Post
Old 24 October 2008, 05:56 AM   #4
tictac
"TRF" Member

Very instructive,
thank's a lot petespendthrift!

I have just a point to clear about the Rolex GMT Master and pilots.

Some of these watches was given to Air Forces pilots, or civil airlines like PanAm, but IMHO this is just Rolex literature and marketing.

In fact, if a diver finds an interest to dive with a Submariner, as this watch is a tool, a pilot doesn't need a GMT Master.

I am now retired since this summer. I have flown DC-8, DC-10-30, Boeing 747-200, 300 and SP, left seat, captain in command.

We don't need to wear a Rolex GMT or what else watches. We have on bord equipments since the sixties, like inertial navigation systems, based on gyroscopîc devices to cross oceans (INS, IRS systems, and now GPS). We don't care, when we are on the air, about to know what time is it in Honolulu, Singapore or what else, at the same time. We think , eat, sleep and act refering to zulu time. The world wide technical aviation organisation think in zulu time -GMT- We have lot of clocks and chronos on board if we want to play and know what time is it here and there...

This is just to say, the Rolex GMT Master is a great emblematic watch, good for a traveller, explorator or what else, but not really useful for a pilot.
tictac is offline   Reply With Quote