View Single Post
Old 25 October 2018, 09:30 PM   #149
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
Suggest they’ve become mainstream status symbols and investment assets. My original hypothesis being, the “hobby” may have peaked. The only “hobbiests” left have the means and connections to collect at the top end of the market. Those left scouring thrift stores and estate sales are pursuing a profit rather than a collection.

I’m not suggesting the market is dying just the “hobby” many of the old guys grew up with.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
Of course it is changing for the ones that started long time ago. With new price levels not everyone will be able to, or want to, continue with vintage Rolex. The good thing is that there are plenty of other brands to collect.

Even if I am mostly into vintage Rolex I still get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I see a great watch. Regardless brand. And that is not dependant on price. That is dependant on quality. No matter if it is an untouched Tissot or an awesome Patek Philippe.

I think the market is getting more stable. I still think great pieces have a bright future moneywise but I also think that some common models might move down a bit. Same goes for not perfect condition pieces.