View Single Post
Old 20 December 2010, 09:10 AM   #128
clock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
The old LV sold at a ratio of one to three or four LN 16610s. It was quite a niche product, and wasn't to everyone's tastes. We've had no 16610 LV requests that I know of, but I have been asked a couple of times recently about the old Sea Dweller

We don't carry Panerai, as much as I'd like us to - I have a great deal of respect for the brand, and love their design ethos. We do get the odd person asking about Panerai, but not as many as Breitling, for example. To tell the truth, I had one chap come in wearing a Panerai asking about a Deep Sea a couple of months ago, and I did end up asking to try it on! That's the watch nut in me coming out at work Panerai is more of a niche brand over here, and to be honest, the city where I work simply isn't big enough for a brand like Panerai. Rolex is the highest rated watch brand in the city, and the other major brands are Omega, Breitling and TAG. I would argue that Breitling has been taking more customers away from Rolex than Breitling.

Again, IWC is too much of a niche brand for the city, and there aren't any dealers. They're only really successful in the biggest cities in the country, so people have to travel a fair bit to get hold of them

I'd disagree with two-tone watches, they do sell very steadily. Probably more so in the ladies' watches as compared to the men's, and the focus of two tone sales tend to come from the Datejust line. Saying that, the more saleable two-tone sports watches don't hang around forever

My three favourite models are:

1) The GMT IIc - my idea of the perfect all round Rolex. Practical, sophisticated, great movement and great history. Most people will either love the GMT or the Sub, and I'm a GMT man through and through

2) The Deepsea - I think it's the ultimate weekend watch, the watch you wear when no other watch can hack it. It's an engineering triumph, and a real reminder of why Rolex has the reputation for pushing the boundaries of watchmaking

3) The Datejust - It's an often overlooked model, but it's the backbone of the Rolex range, and for good reason. There isn't a watch in the world that has such a large scope for personalisation - hundreds of combinations, you can really make it your own
Which brand takes more from Rolex, Breitling or Omega?
Thank you so much for giving this forum an opportunity to ask some questions only an "insider" can answer.