View Single Post
Old 20 December 2010, 09:03 PM   #138
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
VERY NICE THREAD. Thank you!

I have a couple of questions that relate to how you "size up" customers entering the shop, particularly when you can see their watch easily (I guess better in summer months when people are wearing short sleeves).
  • When you notice a high-end watch on a customer's wrist, does this influence how you interact with them?
  • How important is it for you to get them to take off their own watch? The reason I ask is that I've been into a number of ADs that seem to relish in taking my timepiece and polish it, check it out, etc.
  • If someone walks in with the latest and greatest on their wrist, how does this impact your sales strategy? For example, if two guys came in together with Sub-C and GMTIIc on their wrists, what approach would you use in working with them?
I know I'm not Chris, but I happen to love those questions you asked And it makes me remind my pretty bad experience with the local (Hungarian) AD. Yeah, we have only one, so no chance to go to someone else in this country Anyway, I walked into our Rolex AD this Spring, with an Omega Planet Ocean on my wrist, exposed (I was wearing a t-shirt). Once I stepped to the saleslady, she clearly took a good look at what I was wearing. I tried the SS GMT IIC on, I got a price, then I left the store to think about it. I went back the next day with a Breitling B-1 on my wrist (yet again, clearly visible), with a clear and sure determination to purchase the steel GMT IIC I tried on the previous day. This time I didn't check if the saleslady was eying my watch, but the B-1 is quite large and shiny, so I suppose she must have noticed I was wearing another not-so-cheap watch. Anyway, this time I got a higher price quote that didn't match the one I got the previous day. The difference was approx. 4%, but I was shocked that they didn't commit themselves to the price quote they provided less than 24 hours before. I stood there for a few minutes, waiting for something to happen, but nothing. So I walked away, and missed the only opportunity (so far) to acquire a Rolex...

To sum up: I dunno how a nice watch influences someone at an AD, but in my case the influence must have been quite bad Or maybe they just didn't like me, so they thought they wouldn't want to sell me anything.