View Single Post
Old 20 December 2010, 11:30 PM   #143
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxgrand1 View Post
Sir, a couple more questions please if you would:

- how many people come back and complain that their new Rolex is either running too fast or too slow for their liking? Does this occur often?

- how many people point out that the Rolex coronet on the winding crown does not align perfectly like the ones in the Rolex advertisements, web sites and tv commercials? How do you respond to this criticism?

I have to say, it's pretty rare for someone to come back and complain. Sometimes it's just because they have unrealistically high expectations, and haven't had the accuracy boundaries properly explained to them. In that case, I'll happily explain the COSC testing process, and what they deem to be a highly accurate watch. More often than not, the watch is only gaining or losing 2 or 3 seconds per day, and I'll just tell them they're achieving a great level of accuracy.

I'll often ask a customer complaining of poor timekeeping if they've manually wound their watch recently: quite often, the poor timekeeping (mysteriously losing 3 hours, for example) is just a case of the watch not being wound enough. I'll give it a full wind for them, and recommend they give the watch 40 turns of the crown once a month, ensuring that it remains in its peak power band for more often. Of course, sometimes there are serious issues: if it's under warranty, we'll send it down to Rolex UK to get it sorted, if not, we'll recommend a service and leave it for the customer to make a decision. If there's anything more serious than something a routine service can't solve, then Rolex will send us back an estimate, and then the customer can decide whether to proceed or to have it returned undone. More often than not, timekeeping issues are caused by poor maintenance or lack of winding, but there's always a way to solve such problems. If a customer is adamant there's still an issue, then we'll even go to the extent of having staff wear the watch and keep an eye on the timekeeping - again, a lot of it is down to customers simply not wearing the watch enough

As for the winding crowns, I can't recall ever being asked about the alignment of the crown. I think it's a unique phenomenon found on the internet more than anything. If I was asked about it, I would simply say as long as the crown is screwing down properly and remaining watertight, then it's doing its job properly