View Single Post
Old 18 March 2020, 11:38 AM   #2510
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
It seems to me that the lesson here is be like Hong Kong, and don’t be like Italy. Hong Kong remembered lessons from SARS and snapped to it on first word, social distancing, hygiene and so forth. Italy had no such experience and did too little, too late.

The US is both. NYC (950 diagnosed cases), Seattle (650 cases) and the Bay Area (300+ cases) are Italy (NYC didn’t close bars until today). The rest of the country is more like Hong Kong (Dallas, with 28 diagnoses cases, closed bars and gyms a few days ago). My hope is that the period of severe intervention can be less than in the areas with more severe outbreaks (weeks instead of months).

Yup. We just had a conference call with our HK colleagues and they were adamant that we should be wearing masks to cut down on unwittingly spreading the virus. They made the claim that Asians wear masks out of consideration to others, not for protection of self... They also said people over there give you dirty looks if you aren’t wearing a mask in times like this because in their culture you’re the bad guy not doing his part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk