View Single Post
Old 18 March 2020, 12:00 PM   #2519
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Having lived in hong kong for 3 years, I don't think it's a fair comparison.

It's a semi-autonomous city-state with few points of entry. It's not a big, diverse country with several layers of government.

Logistically, they are experienced with past epidemics. most of the people live in large apartment towers, and half are in public housing towers, which means testing/screening can be concentrated at entries to these buildings. Culturally, there's more conformity than we have here (and that's my observation from living there, it's not a critique) and the people care a lot about being hygienic. Many people already own masks and wear them any time they get sick.

I'm glad HK, Korea, Japan, etc. have gotten things under control. I think we can learn from them, but I do not think their results are a meaningul yardstick for us.
As I wrote earlier, even from an optics point of view, when you see footage of the HK response, it looks very reassuring to the public.

Everybody in a responding role has uniformity in their equipment and they are actively disinfecting places, testing, taking temps.

SARS was actually 17yrs ago, so for that muscle memory to still be in place is damn impressive.