View Single Post
Old 19 March 2020, 10:22 PM   #2740
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I've read this too, but it seems like a common thing in the Asian countries, those that seem to being doing seemingly OK with handling the virus, Hong Kong, Japan, etc.

It seems like that article highlights ways that it could be harmful with non careful use of the mask... but would it be reasonably to expect that it would be helpful with very careful use?
It appears that the Asian countries doing relatively well are doing lots of things that we’re not doing or have been slow to do e.g. widespread testing and contact tracing which better explain their relative success than masks. Also, without wishing to appear to perpetuate ignorant stereotypes, I imagine the populations of those countries are more likely to follow the advice of their governments. We wouldn’t in a million years I suppose see Japanese flocking to the beaches like the Floridians pictured up-thread.

I suppose that the best you could say is if you’re going to wear disposable masks, change them frequently to avoid eventually wearing a moist germ sink. But that’s not possible because of the run on masks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
With all due respect, the argument proposed by that article holds true for any object, not just masks. So, any object might be dangerous.
I suppose the point is, the wearing of masks is unlikely to make much difference to an individual or a population so it’s probably not worth worrying too much about.