View Single Post
Old 20 March 2020, 01:20 AM   #2764
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
https://apnews.com/67ac94d1cf08a84ff7c6bbeec2b167fa

I always knew that elitists never really understood the heart of America or Americans but nothing proves it more than this article.

While we wait, are we all shut-ins for more than a year? Almost no one thinks that’s realistic.

“I don’t think we can maintain social distancing as it is right now for the duration of the epidemic,” said Michael Levy, a University of Pennsylvania disease researcher.

What may be more feasible is a plan for intermittent restrictions and enhanced monitoring to control the disease, an idea explored in a new study from researchers at Imperial College London. Once the number of new cases falls below a certain threshold, schools, offices and restaurants could reopen. But if the number of infections spikes again, restrictions would be reinstated.

I have news for you Mr. Levy, our Government has a matter of weeks and no more to keep people pent up in their houses and not working. After that it’ll be utter chaos and riots in the street. It’s amusing to me that elitists that have plenty of money and feel secure because of that don’t understand that the vast majority of people in the world and even the United States live week to week. These people need to get back to work. So who is going to make the decision here? The choices are- A. Deal with the pandemic by letting it run its course or B. Completely and permanently destroy the world economy bringing us into a depression that will make the 1930s look like playtime. Those people that choose option A. had better realize that their feeling of financial security is unfounded once 60% of the country/world is completely depleted of money and is searching for food.

In my opinion we stay shut down for 2 or 3 weeks to curve the virus, then isolate the elderly and go back to work. Otherwise the social and economical consequences are too terrible to contemplate and will be irreversible. No one’s going to remember the dead from this virus when 90% of small businesses are all boarded up and people are starving. IMHO
On the flip side, if the virus outbreak gets exponentially worse as some predict, there won't be healthy people to vitalize the economy... a bit of a chicken and egg scenario...