View Single Post
Old 26 March 2020, 12:50 AM   #3845
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Okay. A few people have asked me what my doctor told me, so I will share.

Please understand that I am paraphrasing. And remember her husband is on the frontline at Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck. So, I am getting her first hand experience. And FWIW, she is very concerned for her colleagues. She has not been asked to join the fight as of yet. Neither has one of my best buddies who is a nurse in FLA.

Clearly, much of what she said is no surprise and has already been discussed here ad nauseum.

It is very scary. It spreads very fast. It has likely infected far more people than are being reported. The increase in tests has helped to determine the mortality rate is around 2%. But in fact, it is likely a lot lower than that because so many more people have it and simply don't know it. For those that do perish, the disease also tends to move very fast in that regard.

The virus can live on a surface for over 2 weeks.

Very likely it is impossible to contain. If the world shuts down and reopens with even a few people still infected, it will come back. Even a C-Shot (similar to a flu shot) will likely not be able to wipe out this virus. This is likely going to be around for the foreseeable future. There is every possibility, that similar to the flu, this will be seasonal. Comparisons to the flu are both not fair and fair. Not fair because it is not flu. It is very different. Fair because it most closely resembles the flu in a lot of ways and we have no other point of reference.

It does appear to be worse for certain demographics (similar to the flu), but young people are getting sick as well. They have a better chance of healing than those that have underlying issues. Healthy people can get sick and die. However, by and large, this is attacking the older, the heavy, and the people with weak immune systems or rather immune compromised systems.

My personal commentary, which is likely not a surprise to many based on many of my comments:

This is super scary. I have seen the videos and pictures in hospitals. And it is horrifying.

But there is no good answer. And given how contagious this is, I am not sure all of the efforts are going to help in the grand scheme. I am in the camp that wants to mitigate the effects on both sides of the health challenge and the economic challenge.

I do think we need to find a balanced approach.

If we could beat this thing by shutting down the world, I would be all for that. Sign me up. However, that does not appear to be possible. Not even remotely so.

It sounds like we need to take extra precautions with those at highest risk and they should stay isolated as long as possible. And we certainly need to continue social distancing. We should never implement hand shaking as a greeting ever again. But it also sounds like we need find a way to proceed forward with this new challenge, lest we throw out the baby with the bath water.

Those cultures that kiss on each cheek or even one, as a greeting should ban that forever as well.

People should stop smoking cigarettes. They should be banned forever. People should exercise and eat fruits and vegetables.

People hoarding things should all be put in one city, together. And locked in. Forever. With a finite amount of supplies. It should be televised.
Your use of the word “forever” is way overblown.....

Otherwise....you make some very good points!