View Single Post
Old 26 March 2020, 10:30 PM   #3934
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks for sharing - not a fun read. But have been at the edge of that decision as a family member many times over the past few years. I can’t imagine how hard this will be for families touched by the eventuality.

That is very sobering - I wonder what has been the corollary in China, So. Korea, and Italy. Hadn’t seen that in print yet about their experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Paul.

I agree this can be a gut wrenching issue to confront in the best of times.

I have not seen reports from China or S.K. either. And I am not fluent enough with their laws and cultural expectations regarding DNR's do know if their approach easily translates to the US and other western societies.

However, having been involved in the representation of several providers in my state where uninvolved family members object to valid DNR orders I can say two things. First, although the process varies state by state, DNR orders are usually entered pursuant to a state statute which normally requires knowing consent from the patient or the patient's rep. And even when orders comply with this process, many family members object and want the patient keep alive, no matter the prognosis or the cost.

But these are not normal times. The dangers to medical providers posed by resuscitation appear to be significant. And we may not have enough resources to keep people alive no matter the cost.

So, we may be headed into a situation where these decisions have to be made even if the patient or their rep do not agree. Query if the bulk of our population in the US understands this.

Stay safe.

Last edited by mountainjogger; 26 March 2020 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: typo