View Single Post
Old 13 April 2018, 10:54 AM   #96
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
This is your opinion but I beg to differ. Do you consider the Submariner or GMT more important? The fact is the Paul Newman Daytona sold for $17.8m with the buyer’s premium. Even though the Speedy went to the moon and the El Primero is a superb watch, they just don’t have the Rolex aura and never will. People can say it’s the marketing, the crown, the celebrities, a combination or just pure luck but this is just the reality. None of them look as good a 6239 or 6241 exotic dial either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adair View Post
There is all kinds of empirical data to show the Daytona is the most desirable Rolex. What percentage of people on this forum if told they could only keep one Rolex would choose a Daytona? Very high I would guess. Should it be that way is up for discussion. Why would someone care? I think it goes part and parcel with luxury items. It'a like the owners who say owing a GT3 is the same as owning an RS. That statement it's just another Rolex is silly...
Apparently, some don't understand what the Professional Line models (and therefore, this thread) are all about; Pro models are all designed to be different from one another and do different things having different forte's past merely telling time. "tool watches", if you will, using the notion that there's a right tool for the job. A Daytona (chrono) is not a GMT (display time zones) is not a Sub (dive watch) is not a Milgauss (anti-mag) etc etc.

Believing there's a hierarchy (and therefore, that a "pinnacle" exists) between watches purposely designed to have different functions is comparing apples to oranges to pears to grapes and trying to force-feed/lobby the notion that one job, function, or forte' is the best. Well, a Daytona is hardly the "pinnacle" of Pro Models if one wants to dive super deep underwater with it, display another time zone, or even read the date. Hell, with sub-par contrast between hands and dial/subdials of the SS models and half the PM models are barely even legible to tell the time or elapsed time, and not legible at all when that flat, sapphire crystal reflects light.

It seems that the 2 of you (and some others) are trying to equate fashion statement/scarcity-induced "desirability" that has nothing to do with the actual functioning to being a "pinnacle" in a mix of purpose-built tool watches doing different things. One thing all models do is display the time, and yet the Daytona is the only one of them where complaints (not only mine) of readability arise. Pick any Pro Series model and you won't find anyone having trouble reading the dial in real, day-to-day life, but there's plenty re the Daytona even in TRF Daytona threads. I have perfect vision and read instruments quickly to absorb and act on what they're telling me for a living, and the Daytona's sub-standard interface with the wearer/user to do it's most basic job as a watch (to tell time) is not made up for by the jewelry factor or "Oh wow, you have a Daytona!" unless you're the type that factors in a Fashion Statement angle to the equation. I couldn't care less about a tool watch being a fashion statement, but if you do then it doesn't even really need to tell time and one never even has to unscrew the pushers and operate the chrono, like most Daytona owners don't. Then, it's just an overpriced, "look at me" bauble that makes one feel good based on others not having, and imagines it being noticed by others is a compliment to oneself. On this forum there's only 1 guy I can think of who actually uses his Daytona for it's actual purpose during racing. There'a few others who may use the chrono time time something here and there, but the reality for most is those pushers stay screwed firmly in.

The avocado crop was scarce due to weather a few years ago in Oz, and in NZ they were selling for $5, $6, $7 a pop. One couldn't get guacamole in Mexican restaurants. People who loved avocados and those who believe (and market) the idea that avocados are a "Superfood" wailed and gnashed their teeth. They had to find other things to put on their toast in the morning and snacks the rest of the day.

By your reasoning, each selling for $7 due to scarcity = "empirical data" plus the loud clamoring about no availability in the produce section of supermarkets by newbie avocado fanatics buying into Superfood hype on a Food & Fitness Forum = "Avocados are the pinnacle of all fruits".
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote