View Single Post
Old 11 February 2018, 10:50 PM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
It's true that some owners have been unlucky getting the Speedmaster's current bracelet absolutely perfect. I actually have two bracelets for mine: the current reference 1958 with screw caps securing the pins, and also the previous reference 1998 with friction-fit pins. My experience with the two proves that, while they might appear nearly identical, the reference 1998 (previous) is slightly more adaptable because each of its individual links is actually slightly shorter than those in the the 1958 (current). Full length is ~equal for both bracelets, however the 1998 uses more links to achieve it (I don't recall whether it's one more or two more, but I can check my notes if needed).

After trying both bracelets for a while, my conclusion is the 1998 can be adjusted "perfecter" (I invented a word!) than the 1958, but I prefer to wear the 1958 because I can get it "perfect enough" for me, and I prefer the slightly different appearance of its slightly longer links. During the brutally cold winters where I live in The Great Lakes, I wear it one link shorter and with the micro-adjustment on its longer setting. In the warmer months, I go one link longer and move the micro-adjustment to its shorter setting, and the watch is loose enough to allow for swelling from rigorous activity or too much salt on my Margarita.

If it came to it, I believe you would find an owner out there with a 1998 bracelet who wants your 1958 bracelet (or, you could sell one and buy the other pretty easily).

I have lots of experience wearing the Explorer 214270 and the Speedmaster Pro. The Speedmaster will wear slightly longer from lug to lug, a little taller, and a little heavier. The taller height is a good thing because the shapes and finishes on the Speedmaster Pro are fascinating, and its taller architecture is part of this trait. I like the weighty feel of it on my wrist.

Comparative photos of the two on my wrist:

Also, I recommend having a strap or two that you can enjoy your Speedmaster Pro on. I have a couple of favorites, including the one Omega specifies for its current offering. It's black alligator and uses the Omega deployant clasp, and it tapers from 20mm at the lugs to 16mm at the clasp.

I'm a huge proponent of the Speedmaster Pro, so I'll be glad to assist with more encouragement any time :-)
AEC is online now   Reply With Quote