View Single Post
Old 13 October 2016, 07:34 AM   #32
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
People have asked before if the new Blackbay and Pelagos do have a Triplock crown.

The external o-ring gasket on the tube of the Pelagos is visible when thr crown is unscrewed, and I believe it has been confirmed that the design of the Pelagos crown and tube is the same as the modern 703/7030 Rolex Triplock. Like this (these drawings have been posted in this forum before, I borrowed them from an old post):

It was sort of assumed so far that the Blackbay would have a twin-lock type of crown/tube.

I have a Blackbay and was curious too, so I decided to pop the hood open and take a look.

I unlocked the stem and found that, apart from the obvious cosmetic differences of the crown and the aluminum cosmetic ring, the design of the crown and tube is that of the early Triplock that was orginally fitted to the early 5513/1680s. The design is just like the 702/7020 So to the question: Does the Blackbay sport a Triplock crown ? IMO the answer is yes, one like the early 702/7020 Triplock crowns in fact.

So, if the BB tube design crown is similar to the older Triplock crowns, how are the newer Triplock/Twinlock crowns different. I thought Twinlock/Triplock were essentially the same design over the years.

Just curious what the difference is between older Triplock and newer Triplock.

Thanks,

-Sheldon