View Single Post
Old 29 January 2020, 11:57 PM   #20
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss516 View Post
+1 to MikeMike

Google tells me there are 3,287 automobile deaths per year in the world. Why aren't we freaking out about that? Right because we are used to it. No longer news.

News is sensational, we all love a good story. Fear and anxiety sell newspaper and people click articles.

Concern, yes, but let's keep things in perspective.
I know that it was just a typo on your part, but for the benefit of anybody reading, that’s 3287 car accident deaths per day or > 1 million per year. 12000 Americans die annually falling down the stairs but most people remain unafflicted by bathmophobia.

I absolutely accept the seriousness of the situation and the potential for it to become a big problem, however the current reporting of it in countries like the U.K. and USA is entirely disproportionate and designed purely to instil fear in the public for the purpose of driving sales/views/clicks, as pointed out above. The same phenomenon resulted in unwarranted hysteria about (admittedly far less easily transmitted) Ebola.