View Single Post
Old 5 April 2020, 05:34 AM   #67
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Nobody has a crystal ball, but personally I think that many people are being too optimistic in thinking that life (and the economy) will just return to normal once this first outbreak passes. We are going to see massive levels of unemployment, and that won't turn around on a dime. Moreover, there's a reasonable chance that we may see another outbreak in the Fall, before the economy has even had a chance to recover, and possibly another one in Fall 2021 before we have a viable vaccine. Unfortunately, I'm bracing for sustained pain around the world, and we may need to accustom ourselves to a "new normal". We would all be wise to prepare as best we can, and if things turn out to be better than expected ... great.

Watch prices are the least of my concerns, but I certainly don't think they will be immune from the pain. If I were a dealer with a large inventory, I would definitely be thinking about getting some of them sold to reduce my exposure, and in fact I'm already seeing some prices dropping a bit.
I am fully optimistic that our medical and research community will have this virus fully under control by the fall. Why everyone worries so much about the value of their watches is beyond my pay grade to figure out. Maybe it is just a Rolex Forum phenomenon - whether talking new watches or vintage.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.