View Single Post
Old 22 July 2020, 01:36 AM   #99
eddie_b
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
This is really embarrassing on their end but I'm not surprised. I work with watches for a living and used to be across the street from the Beverly Hills Service Center. Everyone thinks they're amazing just because they're Rolex but the truth is, with the exception of a few people there, their watchmakers aren't really that good. To their credit Rolex watches are sturdy and easy to service but they can still mess it up on the service side.

Rolex purposely do that because they don't want their watchmakers to become too good and leave. So they essentially have an assembly line there, watchmaker 1 disassembles the movements all day, watchmaker 2 does something else all day, etc. The watchmakers (again with a few exceptions) do not take a "holistic" approach where they do everything on a watch.

I recently bought a new Omega for myself and it had some lint under the crystal. Since it was new I didn't want to open it myself or have my watchmaker do it. I sent it back to the authorized dealer and they sent it back with scratches on the bezel (from the tool which pops it off) and they also introduced some dings to the caseback where the tool grabs on to open. Really pissed me off because that's extreme negligence and even I wouldn't do that and I'm not a trained watchmaker.

Just goes to show that because there's a big name behind it, it doesn't mean they'll do it right. If you still need help with the movement issue let me know and I can ask my watchmaker about it.
eddie_b is offline   Reply With Quote