Thread: Omega 300M GMT
View Single Post
Old 24 November 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Omega 300M GMT

Omega Seamaster 300M GMT and some comparisons with the Rolex GMT

The dial of the watch has a guilloche wave pattern that varies in different shades of light. Omega write “chronometer” etc., over the wave pattern and the finishing detail of the dial under a loup is amazing. The minute markers are much like the early eighties Rolex GMT, that is longer in length. The 24 hour hand appears a slightly darker red than the Rolex version, with a smaller, more subtle triangle at the end. While the dial is black, compared with Rolex’s dials it appears more dark anthracite and is not glossed.

The sword hands and hour markers are oversized allowing for a large coverage of Super-LumiNova. In addition, Omega use color C3, (yellow) as this glows brighter than any other Super-LumiNova color, making this the best low light dial I have experienced. It also makes the markers appear light green in most light because they are glowing so brightly. Whether this bothers you or not is a matter of personal taste. Although you cannot see it in my photos, the hour markers are surrounded by a thick white line that gives them more definition than my pictures show.

The movement is Omega’s cal. 1128, a modified ETA 2892-A2 movement. It’s the Omega cal.1120 with a GMT function. I am not qualified to comment further on the movement other than to say the cal.1120 is highly regarded as a reliable work horse by Omega enthusiasts.

It uses the Incabloc shock system (Omega rates the 1128 as withstanding up to 5000G), rather than Rolex’s improved kif shock system. The hours hands jump forward or backwards just like the Rolex GMT, although they feel much more positive than the Rolex GMT, with no slack. Like the Rolex, you loose the quick set date and the Omega date mechanism does not change on the strike of midnight.

Since I have only owned this watch two months I cannot comment on long term accuracy, but until now my watch has gained 2 seconds a day – a minute a month. I wrote to Omega and asked them to send me my watches actual COSC certificate, which they kindly did, which is a nice touch.

The bezel has a somewhat “tinny” feel to it unlike the more solid feel of the Rolex bezel. The bezel insert cannot be changed; instead you have the change the whole Bezel. It also has smooth edges, which I have not found a problem, but it would be if you have wet hands. I have accidently moved the bezel several times and I would prefer it was harder to turn. Just like the Rolex, there are 120 clicks to one rotation.

The Crown is a little small and too recessed. The former is not a problem but I have no idea why Omega thought they needed to recess the crown so much. On the underside of the watch it’s not recessed. The best crown I have seen on a watch is Rolex's Triplock.

The bracelet is solid 316L stainless steel and extremely comfortable, so much so that I often don’t bother to take it off at night. There is absolutely no rattle to this bracelet. The clasp is prone to scratching but a fiberglass pen or a Scotch-Bite pad fixes this. The only downside to this strap which may bother most people is that it has no user adjustment. Unless you are competent to adjust a pin bracelet it’s off to the watchmaker if you want adjustments between summer and winter as you wrist size changes.

The case is also stainless 316L. I don’t have a caliper or a scale but this watch is definitely heavier than my Rolex Submariner and although about the same depth, is more contoured to the wrist, so appears to sit a little lower. Although it's not printed on the dial, the GMT is rated to 1000 feet.

The price is $2500.00 MSRP but you can find great discounts. Full GMT functionality, excellent timekeeping, impeccable finishing of the dial, case and bracelet, and a great tool watch design for less than half the price of the Rolex. You can’t beat that.

I hope you enjoyed my review. Excuse my lousy photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega2.jpg (85.9 KB, 1281 views)
File Type: jpg Omega1.jpg (64.0 KB, 1265 views)
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote