View Single Post
Old 8 January 2017, 02:00 PM   #225
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchcollectables View Post
Thank you for explaining the obvious which really wasn't needed . Being in the trade I think I am well versed in the intracies of Rolex watches but for the sake of my original observations my points are as follows:
1. Bearing in mind it is illegal to make items that infringe a companies trademark why would a dial refinisher make and then stick on a sub standard Coronet to a supposedly original refinished dial ?
2. If the dial was an original dial why not re apply the original Coronet to it? After all it would be more original refinished than the other option .
My overall take is that a big percentage of these dials are not original Rolex base dials that have been refinished but 100% aftermarket .
Legally, printing Rolex on an unoriginal dial is trademark infringement as is making the Coronet and using it on a dial .
So this refinished tag in many cases is just a smoke screen imho
Perhaps you've not watched someone refinish a dial?

Rolex burnishes the marker pins to the dial. If the markers aren't removed carefully by an expert, they are damaged. Burnishing new markers also requires specialized expertise. While dial restorers and some dial makers will perform this work expertly, they do so for a dear sum of money.

It's faster, cheaper, and easier to chip the old bits off, then glue down new markers. The dial is still an original part.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote