View Single Post
Old 27 March 2020, 03:51 PM   #1
axs186
"TRF" Member

3rd party service expectations

I picked up a 2nd hand Project X Designs Submariner (approx. 2010 manufacture date) It's been customized, DLC coated, and obviously can't go back to Rolex. I took it for service last July with a local watchmaker who is well respected and said he uses all genuine parts. I just got a timegrapher and it was losing time randomly based on position (0s/d to -11s/d), the amplitude was average around 230 and beat error around 7.0ms. I took it in and he adjusted it to be maybe closer in keeping time but the beat error and amplitude are still way off from what I would expect.

General questions: I've seen that amplitude should be 270-310 and beat error near 0 after service. Do you expect the same results when going to a non-RSC? How consistent are the various positions when measuring a recently serviced watch? Roughly how much would a 10yo movement amplitude and beat error change in 8 months?

My situation: Service was $500 last July with no charge to readjust. Am I being too picky because I have more data now, should I write it off as a lesson learned not to go to him and expect to pay more elsewhere, or should I go farther and ask for money back since he doesn't seemed to have achieved the results that a full service can?

All thoughts are appreciated.
axs186 is offline   Reply With Quote