View Single Post
Old 1 July 2020, 10:51 AM   #57
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
It seems I always end up with no interest in anything other than my No Date Sub. All of these watches have been great, but I can't help but feel for the price and wrist presence, nothing comes close to the Submariner.
OP we have very similar stories, I can definitely relate! The same thing happened to me when I got my 114060. I also had some other watches in my collection but after purchasing the no-date everything else felt less special. My sub was always the one I wanted to put on and everything else stopped getting wrist time. The submariner, for me, has always been the quintessential Rolex. It is the watch I imagined owning since before I could afford to start a collection. It’s the watch I compare all others to. Before the run on stainless sport watches started in 2017 I had the opportunity to buy a blnr (on oyster). Just walked into a random AD and there it was sitting in the case for sale. I wanted to want it. It’s a beautiful watch, but ended up passing after trying it on. It didn’t have the heft my sub does. For me it was too similar in appearance and somehow less special. It felt like a colorful version of what I already had but with the date and an unnecessary (for me) gmt function. I realize there are a lot of people who would disagree with that last part. The point is if I wasn’t so hung up on my sub I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
One day I realized that the problem was I had been too fixated on the Rolex brand. My advice to you OP would be to look outside of Rolex and find a watch you love that serves a different purpose. Something that looks significantly different than a diver. Maybe dressier or even more delicate since you already have the sub as your daily. For me I found that in an AP. The quality and finish is out of this world and it brings variety to my collection. Now every time I go to put on a watch it’s a toss up! Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote