Thread: Top time
View Single Post
Old 29 March 2020, 08:02 AM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56scooter View Post
Although I agree with most of what you say I truly believe that resale is driven by overall production. Breitling produces too many watches, it then pushes these watches onto regional distributors, i.e. Breitling USA, these distributors then push them on the AD's. AD's and regional distributors can only sell so many, what is left over is dumped into the market driving resale value down. The only one that doesn't suffer is Breitling SA, they continue to sell large numbers. They meet their revenue goals which will make them an attractive company when the company is put up for sale. Breitling SA does not care about resale values like Rolex, they are more interested in pump and dump. Rolex is a marketing machine, Breitling not so much!

I wonder about this. I mean I see far more Rolex in the wild compared to Breitling (and omega too). Most people get 1 nice watch in their life and the brand the know most is Rolex. I mean Breitling can make less watches, but do you think that would help? I believe iwc makes less than Breitling and their models can also be had at a nice discount. There are also other micro brands out there making few watches but they are affordable, so is the soft price in Breitling purely that they are making too many?

My other point is that while Breitling has had a strong year, they need to start addressing other issues, the excess flash and the large sizes. I used to own a chronomat in 1999, fantastic watch, beat hell out of it for 10 years and it was never serviced. Like 39mm, perfect. See with Rolex they have a core offering (sub, gmt, Daytona) and really focus on that. It’s also possible that if they increase the desirability of their other lines, that may help the overall brand too perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote