View Single Post
Old 12 June 2019, 05:44 PM   #7
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Watch was made in July 1967. It's a manual wind non-quickset.

A new crystal, good cleaning, and an overhaul and he'll have a nice everyday watch.

Doesn't appear to be the original bracelet, rather, a period correct stainless expansion one.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Yep, July 1967. Seiko started putting the seahorse logo on the casebacks of waterproof manual-wind watches in the early 1960s, and later the "Sea horse" became a model in its own right with that cool dial font. There were several kinds/references of Sea horse, and they are somewhat more desirable than no-name watches from the same period. By the mid-1960s they were popular mid-range watches.

Here's one below from a 1965 catalog, right next to a 62MAS, which as you probably know was Seiko's first real diver and is highly collectible today. I've also attached a few pics (including a seahorse logo on the back of an earlier watch) from my Japanese reference books.

Vintage Seikos, even lower and mid-range, seem to hold up really well. I'm sure it can be serviced and made to look like new. You may well find a good aftermarket crystal by searching 6602-8010 on eBay. There's at least one seller in the UK offering a wide variety of "new" vintage Seiko replacement parts.
Excellent Adam, thank you very much, I will pass this on to Ben, it has brought his watch to life.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote