Thread: Bored of Rolex
View Single Post
Old 21 October 2020, 08:31 PM   #214
Chinballs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Fortunately, I own the Rolexes I want. If I were just starting out now, I don’t think that I would jump through hoops to get a Rolex.
As someone starting out I did a heap of research and went into it with open eyes. I'm on the list that may or may not exist at a couple of ADs (not many near me) and gave them my best sob story about why I wanted a Rolex, why I wanted that particular model and that it was for a milestone birthday. If it happens, great, if not I'm not gonna jump through a million hoops just to end up in the same position ie without the watch I actually want.

I decided early on I wasn't going to buy stuff I don't want just to flip as I may as well skip a few steps, go gray market and still pay thousands of dollars more to get the watch I wanted.

Will I get the watch I want from an AD? Doubtful. But honestly, I'm not that bothered. I also love the Tudor Pelagos as well as several Omega models (SMP, Aqua Terra, Planet Ocean). If I don't get a Rolex I'll just walk into a different shop and pay retail for a different watch without all the messing around you have to do with Rolex ADs.

Rolex watches are fantastic but the Rolex shopping experience is atrocious. I actually feel worse for long term Rolex customers than people like me just starting out in the watch world.
Chinballs is offline   Reply With Quote