Thread: Bored of Rolex
View Single Post
Old 22 October 2020, 12:26 AM   #216
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler22 View Post
Agree with most of the comments here. Rolex make great watches, which at the moment are going up in value. Sports models in the UK are hard to come by. Have a good relationship with the SA, and have bought 7 watches from him (not all Rolex) but stock answer at the moment for any of the popular models is 12-18 months wait, so it’s a little frustrating. That said no matter how attractive a watch is I am loathe to buy it if I lose 30% as soon as I walk out of the door. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the value proposition of Rolex is a double edged sword as you stated so nicely.

I was watching this video on YouTube of one of the online sellers touting the attributes of a particular Grand Seiko...

His point was that he thought the watch was so beautiful he didn't care if it retained it's value or not. Truth is, most of the stuff we buy doesn't retain it's value whatsoever - however with Rolex in particular, the minute they announce a new model, the prior model jumps in value because "it's never going to be made again." You should buy a watch because you love it, not because it will hold it's value. Truth in fact some of the rarest Rolexes made volume wise aren't that expensive overall even on places like C24.

On the other side, although I do think there are shenanigans regarding Rolex inventory both from Rolex, the ADs and grey market, you can't argue with the liquidity that the grey market provides. Any Rolex you currently have that you are willing to part with will at a minimum guarantee that you wore it for free.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote