View Single Post
Old 23 September 2021, 03:41 PM   #91
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Here's my main take on this debate:

Rolex rules the watch market with classic but somewhat conservative (aka sometimes boring) watches that are built like tanks. They're very special, for whatever reason, and they have an unmatched history and marketing machine, coupled with a buying frenzy created by genius supply-demand shenanigans.

Grand Seiko has the best dials AND cases in the watch industry. Yes, I said it. The quality, finish and design are insane, arguably "better" than Rolex. They're the most interesting, innovative and funky, with super-cool Japanese aesthetics that reference lakes, mountains, cherry blossoms, etc ... No other brand does this. Many of the watches are stunningly beautiful, a description I'd never give to Rolex, which makes solid handsome watches, but that's it.

GS movements are also more special and interesting. And can we stop equating Spring Drives with quartz movements? They're completely different. For starters, there is no battery in an SD.

The GS bracelets could/should be better, but I'm someone who considers bracelets almost like tires on a car. I swap them out a lot, and I love straps, so that issue is really a non-issue for me.

Lastly, unless someone dislikes how virtually ALL watch companies brand their timepieces, stop picking on Grand Seiko. For example, I've never heard anyone complain about Audemars Piguet, and they do the exact same thing on their dials, with the "AP" logo atop "Audemars Piguet."

P.S. All Grand Seikos in the U.S. can be serviced by the dedicated GS service center in New Jersey. They do not need to be sent back to Japan.

Many things can be said about GS watches, and some guys just don't like them for whatever reason, but you cannot say their styling is "unimaginative." In fact, I'd argue GS design/styling is THE most imaginative in the industry. Who else would design a dial to look like white birch trees in a forest?
Couldn't have said it any better.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote