View Single Post
Old 1 October 2022, 11:30 PM   #112
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
In our watch club, it is very obvious when a new member joins to tell if there a true watch enthusiast of part of the herd or flexer. Longtime members such as myself appreciate many different watches for many different reasons. We share our passion with other members who do likewise. I don't care for every watch made by any single brand or by price point.

But when the new guy starts the conversation by announcing "it's a rolex" and just can't recognize any other brand as quality equal to or better than his, He usually finds his self alone. There are a few watches that I really enjoy from many brands. There all marvelous in there own right. That's what it's all about for me.

I have found that I truly enjoy quite a few from GS. I own many and enjoy them all for different reasons. Strangely no 2 are the same. All have different cases, shapes and sizes. At present I am contemplating a Panerai. I have owned a few. But this one intrest me. We shall see if it makes the cut.

But one thing above all. I love the passion in a true enthusiast. One who can look past a name and enjoy a piece for its own terms.

Some very good points. In our local watch club, as new members attend events, it is apparent who has been in the hobby for a while and who is typically new. Strong statements and opinions tend to flow from the least informed, educated and experienced. But I remember back to when I got involved in the hobby in the early 90's and I was that guy. It took a lot of life experience and watch experience before I started to understand that there are many great brands and someone's personal preference is just that. Grand Seiko is a fabulous brand and for many reasons you can have a discussion about why they are better than some others. You can also have a discussion about how great other brands are at what they do. One brand does not have to be diminished to point to the other brand. Just some thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote