Thread: Goodbye AP ADs
View Single Post
Old 14 February 2018, 12:42 AM   #177
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman1118 View Post
You are 100% correct. Although the difference between those people buying for the sole purpose of showing off on instagram and whatever else are not who we are on this and other forums. As a watch guy I appreciate the work gone in to making my timepiece. I appreciate the movement inside (most cases). I appreciate the prestige of the brand I am buying. I do not buy watches to show off in public or on social media (I have no social media just fyi). Someone who gets their new 15202 or 5711 because they saw it on instagram and had to have it is not in the same boat as we are. Yes, we have all flipped watches because we don't wear them anymore, but for the most part we buy these because of what they stand for and the exclusivity of owning such brands. And of course our genuine love for watches. This current social media explosion of watches and showing off has changed the playing field for those of us that actually appreciate the timepiece we are buying which I think is a shame.
It has certainly ruined our prices as there are so many buyers now, but as I love the watches I am still pleased that they are getting more well known even if thru the display of superficial rich kids and Insta-celebs, and out of their thousands of wannabe followers, a few may actually develop a deeper interest in watches, so a by product of the Iphone revolution may be that the mechanical timepiece survives the future yet.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote