View Single Post
Old 14 March 2018, 10:45 AM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorD View Post
Enough good can't be said about the classic original Speedmaster Pro (moonwatch) on bracelet.

There are a ton of variations and it is confusing, but I suggest the classic with hesalite crystal.

(I believe the current ref # is 311.30.42.30.01.005)

Also, most Omega dealers will have flex in the price.
The Speedmaster Professional described here is the one I recommend. It's the "original" steel watch, with the hand-wound caliber 1861, a solid case-back and Hesalite crystal.

Buy it on the bracelet, but think about having a nice Alligator strap for it, too.

Pick one up at a discount from one of the Trusted Sellers here (I think DavidSW offers it at a good price), or check around for an AD who will deal on price. I think 20% below MSRP with valid papers is probably possible, and I think this translates to ~$3,800 or so. It's a dynamite watch for the money!

IMPORTANT: if you're transacting and picking up the watch in person, then it's important that you try out winding the movement in the actual watch you're buying to make sure the winding resistance is light enough. The resistance varies from watch to watch, and having one that is too stiff to wind will completely ruin the experience of owning a Speedmaster. If your watch will be shipped to you, then I recommend you insist the seller try out the winding feel and report whether it's light enough (I realize he can say what ever he wants about this, but I suppose it's better than not asking).

AEC is online now   Reply With Quote