View Single Post
Old 15 July 2018, 06:20 AM   #34
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
It might help to do some research into the history of Panerai watches. You will get lots of insight as to why they are the size they are etc. I personally find that my two Panerai models, although they are my biggest, are very comfortable.

I found out a few times that a watch/brand takes on a whole new meaning when you research the history of it. The Panerai has a fascinating history, especially when it first started out being a watch actually made by Rolex for them. And many of the models are very true to the originals, like font used on the dial, size plus the crown guards on the Luminor and wire lugs on Radiomir. Not to mention the history of the watch being worn by frogmen riding the manned torpedoes. The more you delve into the history, you realize that a Panerai is not just an enormous wrist piece with large numbers on the dial. Then you can also get into the cushion shape of the cases. And, of course, legibility. On and on.

The same thing I found with the Omega Speedmaster. I Never really cared for the watch. Then, years after I saw it for the first time, I came across an article. I realized that it was the watch worn on the first moon landing, which I watched with my Dad in 1969. From that point on, my fascination with the watch grew. Just as it has with Panerai, as I learn more about it's history.

Now I very proudly wear a Panerai, knowing about the history and the reasons such a watch was made in the first place.