View Single Post
Old 11 February 2018, 12:10 PM   #5
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebob View Post
I have both, the Speedmaster Pro sapphire and the Explorer 1 Mk2. I wear them in one or two week rotation. Here’s my take on them:

The Speedy is, and feels, a little bit heavier on the wrist, but not by much. It also sits slightly taller.

It doesn’t have an easylink clasp like the Explorer, but here’s the thing. When I wear the Explorer (my wrist is 6.3” btw), I always use the easylink extension. If it’s too loose I tightened it and vice versa. Otherwise it will be uncomfortable.

On the other hand, when I wear the Speedy, I never need to adjust it. If it becomes a bit too loose or a bit too tight, it’s fine and still comfortable.

So my opinion is that the Explorer has to be sized/adjusted right, otherwise if it’s slightly too loose or a slightly too tight it’s uncomfortable. The Speedy is much more forgiving here. Too tight or too loose, it’s still comfortable.

I sized both bracelets the same way, fit my wrist..snug fit I guess.

I tried my Speedy on a NATO that came with it, but I find it makes the watch too tall and uncomfortable. After trying it for two days I removed it and put the watch back on the bracelet.

In the end, both are comfortable. I love them both.
Thanks for this comprehensive info, it's exactly the kind of feedback I need.

I've never worn a NATO, but I've often wondered if I'd like it because of (a) the added height (as you said), and (b) the way it would feel to not have have the case back against the wrist. So while I wouldn't go so far as to assume I wouldn't like it, I think it's more likely that I'm a bracelet guy.

That's interesting what you said about the EasyLink. I keep mine ... in? I don't use it, and the watch fits me perfectly (I too wear it a big snug, and in my case above the bone). My wrist is about 6.7", and flat, so I'm not terribly worried that the 42mm of the Speedmaster will be too much, but if I could choose I would prefer it to be 39mm like the Explorer. As JR16 said above, it looks smaller on a strap, which I've heard a few times now, so that's a nice option, but I really want to wear it on the bracelet.

I have a Seiko SLA017, which I think is about the same height as the Speedy. I've struggled to like that watch, in part due to the bulky rubber strap (which is great in the summer), so I'm thinking of axing it for the Speedy. All that is to say, while I prefer slimmer watches, I don't think the height of the Speedy would be a problem. And I'm glad to hear that the Explorer and Speedy are about as near as makes no difference (I'm guessing your sapphire has a little more heft than the Hesalite version, too).

Thanks again. I've really gone back and forth about what to do, what I want, etc. While I like being (effectively since I never wear the SLA) a one-watch guy, the Moonwatch has been calling my name for a few months now...
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote