View Single Post
Old 1 August 2020, 11:19 PM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
Hi folks.

I'm looking for some advice on my next FP pen purchase. As titled, this will be a budget pick, but I'm looking for some experience from those that have taken baby-steps from the bottom. Budget <$150, with an emphasis on the less.

I've had a Pilot Metropolitan for the last 3 years and it has been awesome. Writes pretty well, NEVER leaked on an airplane, and dirt cheap ($12 on Amazon). So of course, I'm giving it away.

Question: Is it a "step up" to go to something like the Lamy Safari or AL-Star in the $30-50 range? Or would I need to make the move to a low end Pelikan, Waterman, etc. in the $100 +/- arena to see an improvement in writing/feel/reliability?

Why do I feel like I just walked into the AD and asked the salesman if I should spend more on the DJ vs. the OP...
Going up in price very seldom offers an improvement in writing or reliability. Different materials though will give different feel. In most cases any increase in prices is simply aesthetics. In a few cases when looking at limited run hand built pens you will find a significant improvement in writing but only once you move beyond the mass produced models. Even in those instances most good talented nib smiths can make a cheap mass produced pen write as well as its more expensive hand crafted cousin.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote