View Single Post
Old 4 August 2020, 10:27 PM   #13
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, I've committed to gifting this one. I did buy a second one a year or two ago and for some reason, it never wrote as well. Maybe to your point, it has been the backup and not gotten much writing time to be broken in.

I like the idea of the Lamy being a good (cheap) way to start experimenting with different nibs, which I don't have much experience with other than the Pilot.

Not to stir the pot, but would going pre-owned be too much of a venture given my lack of experience/preferences?
One lives and learns!

Regarding pre owned, I would again echo previous advice and choose the seller as carefully as the pen. Buy from a good dealer and you most likely won’t have many problems.

There are actually many better used pens now, than a couple of decades ago. A lot of pens now come from collections and are little used, whereas once, everything used had been used quite heavily.

It is pretty essential to ‘try before you buy’ though. It’s not just a matter of making sure the pen works, but of getting a nib that suits your hand.

A good dealer, new or used, will be able to watch you write, and find a nib that ‘fits’ fairly easily. One advantage to buying new, is that you usually have (or should have) a full selection of nibs to choose from.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote