View Single Post
Old 11 September 2019, 09:19 PM   #19
jbnjbn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Some opinions on the 116900 Air King
Opinion 1) I’ve seen the AK posted new for $6900 on reputable watch sites. MSRP is a bargain these days at $6200. Picked one up at my AD about a month ago. It’s a really cool piece in the metal and is great in a collection. It has a storied aviation history. As I’ve said before on this forum I think it’s a sleeper that will gain interest even more so when it’s discontinued which I bet will be next year
Opinion 2) Because I was interested to add an Air King 116900 additionally to my Rolex collection I observed Chrono24 and other places for some time.
Generally up till short the AK / new was available for a little below MSRP, whereas this is below the MSRP of the Explorer I and the Milgauss.
However since some time I noticed that prices are rising, even up till MSRP plus 15%.
This is new for me; in the meantime I purchased a NOS / full in the seals one at 3% below MSRP.
Opinion 3) Oh, what a beauty.....really distinctive from the general Sub-style stuff...this is how a tool watch has to be...
....most AD's can not supply the Air King from stock any more
....interest in the 116900 seems raising...
....prices are definitively over $ 6.200,-; time of under MSRP prices are over...
Opinion 4) *****
The Air King 116900 is a beauty beeing the only one in the Rolex program with a dial with 1/2 digit Arabic figures (5-55); crown in yellow and Rolex logo in green, sec. pointer green, white gold 3,6 and 9 and the anti-magnetic properties of the Milgauss included for free ...
Furthermore, a great size of 40 mm, pleasantly "flat"; wears it as a personal made watch... and "brushed midlinks" ... really a barely discovered Rolex model... all elements of "the past" in a unique modern layout!
And then that unique "low" entry price ... (still) ...
These are co-conditions for becoming a future Classic ...
By the way ... that very original "technical" dial with those subtle Rolex colors green / yellow should be allowed to work in on you. ... it is very different from all other Rolex models ... something new / refreshing and yet with the familiar Rolex elements of " in the past ”… a good chance that this Air King suddenly“ catches on you and that you get to know what a unique opportunity is (still) offered with this model ...

You’ve convinced me - Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbnjbn is offline   Reply With Quote