View Single Post
Old 8 April 2018, 01:26 AM   #1
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

Settled on 16610 over SubC after owning both

I started with a new SubC 114060 about 3 months ago. The build quality was amazing. The bracelet and clasp were the best I'd ever seen. For some reason however, something bothered me about it. In the end, I just couldn't learn to love the fat lugs and how they didn't flow properly in to the bracelet.

After doing a few trades and sales, I ended with a near NOS 16610 date sub that still had stickers on the case. The only thing missing is the box. I've owned a few older GMTs and Explorer2s and always thought this generation was somewhat flimsy but wore so comfortably. This is my first time handling a NOS one and the build quality is pretty good. Even the bracelet is solid. I'm guessing they were all this way at first until stretch kicks in. Either way, this one seems better suited to my wrist (at least in my mind anyways). I know it doesn't have the ceramic bezel and the technology but I like it more. Only thing I don't like is the clasp that seems to bulge out. If I can source a GMT clasp to put on there, it'll be perfect.

My opinions after having tried on both
- The SubC is more sporty and feels more bulked up with that maxi case. The maxi dial makes it more legible.
- The older Sub is much more classic. The shape of the case makes it more classy. The older dial is more dressy.

Below are pics of both.

Side story on the missing box:
As was explained to me by the sales lady, when Harvey hit, a lot of people will run out of the house with their watches but forget about the box. Or they keep the watch and papers in a safe but the box is stored elsewhere and will get destroyed so they've been getting quite a few in lately missing boxes.

Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote