View Single Post
Old 14 October 2019, 07:43 PM   #63
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not at all trying to justify RM prices on a material basis. I'm really getting at why I'm not convinced the brand has staying power.

I agree completely. The difference in price is mostly brand marketing. Further, as I noted above, I think you've supported my point that RM is following a fashion model of luxury brand building. When you build a brand on exclusivity and scarcity that's the definition of a hype/marketing driven company vs a foundation of great product/experience. In fashion where all that matters is what's hot this season (cause inherently last season is not hot) the kind of churn and hype around what's new is typical. There are some amazing fashion houses that have had their ups and downs but continue to reinvent themselves and succeed but there are many more designers who were super hot and are gone. I think RM has done a brilliant job, but it remains to be seen if it's a Cavalli, J Mendel, Yohji Yamamoto, Rock and Republic brand or the next Ralph Lauren. Sure we can all look back and say WTF was going on with those skulls on everything but back then they were pretty awesome. I believe the world of watches moves more slowly and doesn't have the same pace of seasonal luxury like fashion but a decade or two is a drop in the bucket for watch houses so I think it remains to be seen if RM is a fad or not though I'm predicting it will pan out that way. It's not going to disappear like garbage pail kids but it's inevitable there will be a new, hot, more expensive thing, and when that happens RM will struggle without other pillars to it's brand value.

Maybe I didn't explain my point well. My point was that Rolex has history, they have heritage, and their products lines have come to represent something. It's like the Porsche 911, Porsche wasn't always what it is today and the 911 was just a pricey beetle, but that commitment to identity and refinement when markets were good and when Porsche was on the verge of bankruptcy has created a brand and product that can't be copied. People recognize that so small changes are a big deal. RM on the other hand released bonbons which says to me that as a brand they are investing more in new products that can create hype than trying to develop and refine core lines that can stand the test of time.

Again, proving my point. RM brand identity is being expensive and exclusive. Patek markets their watches as timeless, forever, a multi-generational luxury. Expensive and exclusive is a part of that but they've also made a concerted effort to have "affordable" lines as well so there is an entry into the Patek family that can grow with out. Rolex markets themselves as a representation of accomplishment and success where stainless used to be an entry point to PM which just recently got turned on it's head (bubble). De Beers markets diamonds as a representation of love and commitment. These are emotions, values, things that you can create a brand around. These luxury brands are looking generations ahead which is how they've ensured they are more than a fad and established that their brand and products are more than just representation of wealth.

RM makes nice watches but they are building a brand around being the most expensivist and exclusive game in town and that only lasts until there's a new most expensivist more exclusive new kid on the block. This is especially true for the billionaire class, they will definitely buy the next most expensivist thing too, and that's why RM is a fad.

Tell me I'm wrong. What is RM investing in that will make it meaningful a generation from now? What does the brand stand for and does it have anything that the next future most expensivist brand can't buy?
I can’t argue and certainly don’t dare to argue too..

I own a few RMs myself and I never think so much like you do ie about my next generation and whatever because honestly these are just my toys be it PP AP MB&F URWERK FPJ and Rolex etc.. I live in the moment. I buy what I like and I wear it. Don’t think too much. Life too short especially when I am almost half way through

Cheers!
Jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote