View Single Post
Old 21 July 2019, 10:33 PM   #69
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
For those of you living in Hong Kong, now may be a good time to "strengthen" your relationship with your AD / or to start a relationship.

A recent chat with my AD - with the recent protests in HK, business is suffering, fewer tourists from China, locals aren't buying much either .... I have not seen so many watches on display at my AD. Visits to other ADs in HK show the same picture, with lots of unsold inventory in the cabinets. (Compared to say the period around May, when my AD only had one or two watches on display in the whole shop as everything was sold out!)

My AD was so quiet and empty during my 1.5 hour visit a few days ago - apart from tourists coming in and asking for the 5711/5712.

I just put my name down for a perpetual for my birthday. She asks me to re-re-re-consider the 5711 blue but I decline again - the blue really isn't the shade of blue that I like (I much prefer 5740's blue). I told her I might get the 5164 now that I have the blue 5650 strap ... but I am in no hurry.

I chat with a friend that I introduced to my AD and he told me the same persuasion by my salesperson to get the 5711, which she almost guaranteed he could get in a few months. My friend's first purchase was a perpetual and then followed up by the 5270 salmon. But again my friend has no interest in the 5711which he finds too boring - "wasted real estate" in his words - he likes busy dials, the busier the better.

My takeaway is that ADs are scared of selling 5711 and hot pieces to unfamiliar clients for the fear of flipping and damaging the AD's reputation with Patek. That's even with the business card vetting by Libertas here in HK (the local equivalent of Rhone / HSWA).

[EDIT: Please do not contact me asking me to help you get the 5711 or other watches. Thanks!]
You must have a real fancy business card
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote