View Single Post
Old 15 December 2020, 12:16 AM   #68
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfiveseven View Post
There was a thread about if there was a 40mm version of this, would people get it? How can you not want this watch after seeing these pictures?
Here is a couple points I was hoping to get to but wanted to avoid it in the actual review:

I thought about this watch very seriously to buy for the past 6 months but it haunted me for a decade. It was always on the back of my mind.
The few times it came up on the forum, I praised and was always taken back. The YMII was never represented correctly or even exposed the right way on social media. The new Rolex buyers look to social media for info and general opinions. The info and exposure of the YMII was little to none. I hope to change this a little bit and give some valuable information from a actual owner and enthusiast perspective..

The LVC (Hulk) sat in a very similar position as nobody wanted a green Sub and dealers always had them sitting and collecting dust for the first 5 years of its introduction.

Here is the point I will have to make after 30 years of Rolex ownership.
Rolex owners are extremely conservative and resist change. They were not always like this in the 80’s and 90’s. Once “investment” became a factor to some, any change in a very conservative design could upset a predictable resale value. The irony is Rolex owners love to complain about not getting anything new or significant upgrades. It got to the point that a slight dial font change was newsworthy. Rolex is alway in a difficult position as they have the knowledge and artistic ability to design amazing new pieces but a certain segment of their own customer base has their hands tied. The Yach-Master II took so much heat initially because the movement was so advanced and it didnt look like a Sub or GMT. It made the old time conservatives too nervous as the movement and design were too complex and different from the same old Sub/GMT that has looked the same for almost 50 years. Even the LVC, which is nothing more than a “green Sub”, took heat for having the wrong color initially but look how things have progressed........

A new Rolex world:
Fast forward a decade and we are now at a place where Rolex owners are starting to get more sophisticated and are looking at what’s inside the watch as well as the brand name. AP, Patek, etc. are now mainstream brands even new watch enthusiast know. This is why I believe now is the time we will see watches like the YMII and now SkyDweller are coming into their own to showcase Rolex innovative movement technology. Sometimes you need to break out of your comfort zone to go next level and find a higher connection to a watch.
Rolex is more than what some may see as a status symbol, marketing machine with great resale value. Rolex as a watch and movement company NEEDS to be appreciated and recognized. I believe the birth of the Yacht-Master II was targeted to those that want more from Rolex. Rolex was just ahead of their time with its initial release. The YMII will never be for everyone but it’s great to see that its technical achievements and what it is about is recognized and understood better today and in its future.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote