View Single Post
Old 27 May 2017, 11:10 AM   #24
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Update:

So after seeing the pics by Sanosan34, I was inclined to go with Rubber B but still wasn't sure as I just didn't prefer the look vs. the Everest in pictures. Luckily, I was able to go to one of the Everest dealers and have them put on the tang buckle version on a 5 digit sub they had in store. As I feared, the strap flare was way too much and even on the smallest hole, was way too big. In addition, by using the smallest hole, the strap wrapped almost all the way to the watch head on the 12 o'clock side, which was also deal breaker for the tang buckle style.

I bit the bullet and bought the Rubber B Xsmall (5x5 links including the end links, which is equivalent to the Everest 4x4 size (Everest doesn't count the end links) to use with the deployant and keep the look clean.

I ordered the Horofix spring bar pliers which came today and I was able to install. This was my first time changing any bracelet on a watch and I was really nervous, and taped the lugs. Taking off the oyster proved to be simple, installing the Rubber B was a different story. The Horofix made compressing both sides of the spring bar really easy but as I tried to move/wiggle the watch head into position, the spring bar kept coming loose and popping out of the Horofix'a grip. Even though my lugs were taped, I caused minor damage on the top of two lugs when the spring bar popped out as it basically was damaging the very edge of the lugs and thus was pushing the edge of the tape as it sprang out. The 12'oclock side only took several attempts but the 6 o'clock side was much harder. Several times I was able to get one side of the spring bar engaged but couldn't get the other side into position, resulting in the one side popping all the way out and having to start over. I started thinking maybe the strap was just a bit off its manufacture, resulting in a misalignment of its holes.

Finally, success!! In my relief and haste to attach the deployant, I attached the safety lock side with the safety lock on the inside and not outside of the band, forcing me to unscrew and do it again. Finally, after about 45 minutes, everything was complete.

I'm really impressed with the fit. As hoped for, the lack of flare provides a much better fit. I also appreciate that the strap tapers, unlike the Everest, and mimics the taper of they oyster bracelet. The lack of taper on the Everest just made it humongous on my wrist.

Unfortunately I'm getting an error when trying to post pics, will try to do so later.

Thanks for all the comments/advice!
Nyc27000 is offline   Reply With Quote