View Single Post
Old 13 May 2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I don’t suppose there are many of us that have lived more than a few decades that do not look back over our shoulders and stand aghast at the ever quickening movement of time. This is why I believe it imperative; if you want your life to be remembered you should write it down for others to read.

I remember as a boy of about 10 going into a house that was being demolished and finding an old journal on the attic floor in the dust written in pencil. I believe the dates were in the 1920s and 30s and I recall being astonished at how well preserved the author’s thoughts were even though they were in pencil on yellowed paper. I also remember the author. Even today 5 decades later. I didn’t know the author personally, but I knew of their lives. And even many years later I remember them.

I was in London some 20 years ago and picked up a small personal pocket journal at an antiques street market. As I later read through the journal I realized that the young lady who penned it did so many times while hiding in the Tube during the Blitz of London in WWII. She would give her account of being terrified while hearing and feeling the rumbling of the bombs dropping overhead only to later on the same night write of going to the cinema with her boyfriend if their neighborhood was beyond the borders of devastation. I think that was common in those days. To be bombed one hour and to be at the movies the next hour.

I remember as I read through the small journal occasionally seeing white grit and dust fall out of it as I turned the pages and thought it had been stored horribly over the years. dOnly to realize later that the grit and powder falling out of the journal was what was caught in the pages from the ceiling of the Tube as this young lady wrote upon those pages the terrors of the bombings she was experiencing. I still have that journal and I still remember that young lady and the parts of her life she shared. And the grit is still caught in most of the pages.

If you want your life remembered, you should not leave it to the memories of others. But should take the time to invest your life onto the pages of a journal that someone, somewhere, will certainly pick up at sometime and will remember you even though they never met you.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote