View Single Post
Old 19 April 2017, 09:01 AM   #52
cooperfish
"TRF" Member

Nice report which struck many of the same concerns and interests I had. I chose the polar as it somehow appealed more to me. It may have had something to do with the idea my other and recently past rolex was an '84 stainless steel datejust bought in Paris when the exchange rate was 9 french francs to the dollar which made my purchase a no-brainer. It has a silver face with a jubilee bracelet and that "brightness" resonated with me...again, personal taste. That watch shall pass from my ownership not for any failing of the watch itself, but rather because it's 36mm seemed too small on my 7 inch wrist. Not sure when the realization struck, but when it did, my daughter's repeated request that I remember her in my will for that particular watch rang in my ears. It is now serviced, polished, sized and repacked in its original box to take on the next few decades in her ownership upon her college graduation April 30th...my birthday. Part of the gifting ceremony will be my donning my own Polar Explorer. For those who might think my new watch appearing at the same time as her new/old watch, after walking her past the rolex counter and pointing out various possibilities which she might choose, she repeatedly said she wanted my old one and that wasn't going to change. Sometimes you just raise them right!

To the gentleman asking how the 42mm fits on a 7 inch wrist, I say "perfectly" with the knowledge that wrists may vary. On mine, the watch's flatness sits actually much better than the smaller 36mm did...the latter relied on the band to provide a proper setting on my wrist, but that kind of skewed the way it sat. With this explorer, that has not been an issue. I did try on the blue/black GMT Master 2 (I really appreciate a gmt, dual timezone watch), but it actually looked too small, and somehow busy around the bezel...that same bezel which had spurred me to look at rolex once more.

Anyway, for reasons the original review above has more than fully provided, together with many more I am unable to adequately quantify, I have chosen the Polar Explorer 2 as my primary daily companion...a beautiful and greatly appreciated watch.
cooperfish is offline   Reply With Quote