View Single Post
Old 22 July 2019, 05:01 AM   #30
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
Given your personal situation, I would not do that trade. a 5712 plus a Sub and a JLC Master Moon (assume in steel) is a really great trio. I suspect that you're like me and prefer sport/steel watches to dress watches, so the JLC s a great choice for a dress watch. Save your money for the kinds of watches you really do like! In that latter category, you've got two of the very best: a sub and a steel Nautilus with a blue dial! Man!

If you went for the trade, you'd be missing the gem in your collection for two lesser watches that overlap with ones you already have. And if it's not about money, as you say, then the 20g is irrelevant. If you're smart, you're only spending play money on watches anyway.

No way I'd make that trade (given the other watches that you already have).

Another issue for me, is as strange as it sounds, the more the 5712 goes up in re-sale value, the less comfortable I am wearing it. Wearing a $40,000 watch is one thing, but $80,000+ makes me more concerned about everything from how often I wear it to whether I scratch it to where I wear it. Maybe not a huge difference for many, but for me it is a factor.

Plus, at retail, both the 5167 and Daytona’s are under $20,000, which also makes me more comfortable wearing them.

And just to be clear, when I say it isn’t entirely about the money, I mean on a going-forward bases. The $20,000 gained in the trade is a big deal.
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote