View Single Post
Old 23 May 2018, 11:47 PM   #71
C Walker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
If not interested it makes no sense to keep. Value could go both up and down and since the watch is extremely fragile it is probably not worth to wear excessively if there’s no real interest. Depending on the overall financial situation I am guessing a 100k would make a difference in many peoples lives.

If you are certain a piece like this will appreciate in value I guess you would buy one. Pretty simple.

This example is honest and nice. Dial is charming at best but it is not really a museum piece. Still worth a ton but I wouldn’t bet my life it will move up year by year. I’d kind of think it is a bit foolish to recommend someone not interested to speculate in value appreciation. It’s a niche piece. Allthough very nice. Money could probably do other things for someone not interested in vintage rolexes.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Fact is, my wife and I do fairly well. If the watch value were in the $30-50k range, I would keep it as that amount of money would not make much of as impact on our lives. However, when you start talking about $100k, that starts to have more of an impact from both an enjoyment standpoint and investment perspective.

Or, if I was a watch guy, then I would be more likely to keep it. I started to get into watches about 3 years ago, but as my taste and knowledge increased, I started to question if I wanted to spend upwards of $5000+ on a watch... and I decided no, I had other places I would want to put that income. At this point, I would be likely to take some of the money and buy a nice Bell & Ross or similar. That would satisfy my watch craving.

Also, due to the fact that I never saw my Grandfather in it and never knew it existed, I have no really sentimental value tied to the watch. I have other items that mean much more to me than this piece.

Simply knowing the importance, rarity and collectibility of the watch propels me to sell it so that it goes to someone that truly appreciates it. It's kind of like having a BMW M1 sitting in a garage under a pile of trash, sad to see something of this value stay with someone who is not able to truely appreciate it.
C Walker is offline   Reply With Quote