View Single Post
Old 24 May 2018, 12:23 AM   #72
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Walker View Post
This pretty much sums it up for me. Fact is, my wife and I do fairly well. If the watch value were in the $30-50k range, I would keep it as that amount of money would not make much of as impact on our lives. However, when you start talking about $100k, that starts to have more of an impact from both an enjoyment standpoint and investment perspective.

Or, if I was a watch guy, then I would be more likely to keep it. I started to get into watches about 3 years ago, but as my taste and knowledge increased, I started to question if I wanted to spend upwards of $5000+ on a watch... and I decided no, I had other places I would want to put that income. At this point, I would be likely to take some of the money and buy a nice Bell & Ross or similar. That would satisfy my watch craving.

Also, due to the fact that I never saw my Grandfather in it and never knew it existed, I have no really sentimental value tied to the watch. I have other items that mean much more to me than this piece.

Simply knowing the importance, rarity and collectibility of the watch propels me to sell it so that it goes to someone that truly appreciates it. It's kind of like having a BMW M1 sitting in a garage under a pile of trash, sad to see something of this value stay with someone who is not able to truely appreciate it.
Well said. I am not a sentimental person myself, so "things" don't really matter as much. My grandfather is responsible for my view on this. When he was nearing the end of his life, he wanted me to take his stash of old fishing gear. It had many valuable old lures in it. I told him I didn't want hem until he was gone. He replied that he had always said they were going to be mine, so take them! He then added, "some of this is worth a lot of money, so when you sell them, make sure you get a fair price." I told him I would not sell them because they were from him. He said that was stupid, what was I going to do with a bunch of fishing lures I'd never use. What he said next will always stick with me. He said, "If you need stuff to remind you of me, I didn't make much of an impression." I still have all that stuff 20+ years later, but I don't need it to remember what an awesome guy he was.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote