View Single Post
Old 27 December 2009, 03:33 PM   #7
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
A quick review of my TAG, after 12 years....

(sorry no pics)

My first "real" watch was a TAG Heuer 1500 quartz, s/s, with blue face, the predescessor to the current Aquaracer.

I wanted just the "basic" watch. Didnt want an automatic b/c I feared the headaches. Didnt want a chronograph b/c I figured that a watch case was like a submarine: the fewer holes, the better. I just wanted something simple that wouldn't go out of style.

So...

Since 1997, it has been around the world with me. It basically never leaves my wrist. It has been in the shower, in the pool, in the ocean, and around the planet. I have worn it while rockclimbing, martial arts, mountainbike racing, doing triathlons, on duty for 9 years in emergency services (police/ems), you name it. It has taken everything I can throw at it and never let me down.

except...

Gripes? (Only cosmetic!)
(1) Somehow, one time the clasp got bent and I had to have it replaced. That's the -only- time it was ever out of commission (and I still dont know how that one happened). Notice it was a bent clasp, and nothing to do with the timepiece itself.

(2) The glow-in-the-dark-illumination stuff has worn down to almost nothing, but I am told that was common back then. Still looks fine, but "Dont try to read it in the dark, 007!"

Services? Last time was in 2005. So, a couple of batteries, and that's it. Keeps great time, and not a scratch on it. Recently, I ran a Cape Cod cloth over it and now it looks like it's been chromed. Amazing.

I can honestly say that it is one of my two most treasured possessions and I will be thrilled to give it to my son one day.

I tell everyone to try Tag Heuer. If I had the means, I would give them to several of my friends from college and law school. They are incredible watches, and while I also own an Omega, they compliment each other, but do not replace each other. In fact, I am now shopping for an f1 chronograph, since I can't afford am Omega Speedy just yet.
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote