View Single Post
Old 16 December 2012, 02:09 AM   #28
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
I understand the reason, but I have mixed feelings.

Most people, including many Rolex owners, know very little about watches. I have friends who got a Rolex for the prestige of it (nothing wrong with that) rather than because of the automatic movement or orther horological reasons. They do not remove any of the extra links, and let the watch flop around like a bracelet. When I compliment them on their fine timepiece, I inevitably get, "Oh, this? It keeps terrible time." It turns out that none have ever wound their watches.

When some of our relatives have passed on, we have found various antique watches (from the 1930s-1940s) in boxes drawers, etc. It would be helpful to know if they are valuable for purposes of dividing them up, deciding whether to keep or sell, or even to fix and wear. Sometimes it is not worth to spend hundreds of dollars to fix a watch that is worth far less. For example, we got an antique Baume & Mercier chronograph (model 902). The crystal is broken and it has no strap. We took it to a watchmaker, and because of the complications, it is probably more expensive to fix than what it is worth. It has no sentimental value, so in the drawer it sits. Alternatively, if one is a very rare timepiece, that would be helpful to know.

Also, isn't TRF a reputable place to do research? Is eBay the only alternative?

I understand some people may be abusive, but if someone does post a photo bout the found watch, what is inherently problematic about spending 30 seconds to say their watch was a common or uncommon, potentially valuable, worth getting checked out by a dealer, etc.

Plus, there is always the fun "Antique Roadshow" aspect to finding a rare watch.
I think the main reason for this thread to get it accross to people that this site is not here to keep you from having to do your own research. I know I love looking at some of the vintage time pieces "found" and seeing what the comments and values are said during the thread. It helps me learn as well as the person who owns the watch.
TRF is a great site to get help and to do research with but it is not an appraisal site or a quick fix from the owner doing his own do-diligence.
I think people will always be willing to give there opinions here and to offer help, (that is what makes this place great) but the site would become quite boring if every thread is nothing but "Is this real?", "What is this worth?", "Look what I found in my grandmas purse buried under the house and can you help identify it?"
Hope this helps. I love this place and one of the main things the made me become a member here is the excellent members and facilitators that make this forum great.